Saturday, May 31, 2008

My precious Susan

Today has been exciting and its only half over. We went to a small church in the middle of nowhere and did our drime for the last time and worked with the children. There were about 60 children of all ages. The cutest children I have ever seen. We started off singing and just talking to the kids to get them to interact with us. We then did our drime. It's sad to think that that was our last time. We have preformed that drime so many times... i can do it in my sleep. But everytime I do that drime, I think about what God really did for us. He broke us free from our sins and still does it when we fall. He is always there and he is watching our backs for us. Being satan in the drime, really has impacted me thinking about sin. Money, drugs, lust, and images, everything. I see what they can do and how quickly they can take hold.
After our drime... we played some games with the children. All children love balloons so that is what we did. We blew up so many balloons and let them pop them. They loved it.
At a HIV home we visit, women knit scarfs for Lidia in their spare time. She had about 80 scarfs total. They were made especially for today to pass out to children. We gathered up all the children and gave them each a scarf, cookies, and a balloon. They went crazy. You could just see in their eyes that they were so grateful for them. Most of them took them out of the package and put them on. They pranced around showing them off.
The whole time we were there, a small girl sat on my lap, her arms around my neck and her smiling face looking up at me. Her name... Susan. She was one of the sweetest girls that I have laid eyes on. Her soft smile just made me want to take her home. We sang and danced together... her hanging onto my neck and singing her heart out. She shared her cookies with me and she just kept saying my name over and over. While I was doing our drime... I kept looking up at her and she just stood there watching me, her smile shining on her face. She was only 4... but I really think I preformed that drime for her.
Leaving today, leaving Susan, was hard. I just wanted to hold her, to talk her home. All the kids lined up to say good-bye to each of us, while Susan stood behind me, holding onto my arm. When her older sister came to get her... she resisted, but finally let go when I hugged her and told her that I loved her so much. Her eyes shone so bright!! That girl had so much spirit, so much life. That girl was and is my 'Precious Susan'!!!

No comments: