Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The loves of my life in Peru

We are winding down with time… and I’m beginning to think about going home and the things I will have to face when I get there. So many things have changed and so many things have happened to me and at home.. I just wonder how things will clash. Will I be able to fit back into my youth group, my church, and my friends? I have changed so much and things at home have changed as well… but… is it the same way? Will I be able to stay in touch with God at home as I have here? So much has been running through my head the last couple of days and I’m starting to think about them more.
When I think about leaving the people here that I have grown to love and have developed friendships with, it makes me sad and somewhat depressed as well. Living with the same people for 6 months, there are strings and attachments. They aren’t easy to let go. So I decided as a tribute to each one that I love here… I will tell you about each one and share memories I have with each. Hopefully I can give you some insight on the people I have grown to love.

Sarah Doucet: Team leader
This woman is a living example of Proverbs 31. With her being our team leader… it fits her all the more. She is willing to go out of her way to do the things that the rest of us sometimes forgets to do. She is our main cook and she is the one that does a lot of the shopping. She is willing to stay up late to make sure things get done and is the first one awake to turn the light switch on to get us up for the gym. When she is struggling, you see her with her Bible praying to her Father about whatever is bothering her. She doesn’t try to do things on her own… she knows and gives all credit to God. One of my good funny memories I have of Sarah is the fact that she hates rats and how many times we have playfully scared her. Just to see her facial expressions… its all worth the trouble to get her! Sarah has such a heart of gold and a hear for the ones around her. She cares for her team and she shows it.
Laura Adams: Team accountant
Out of the whole team, I feel like I know her the most. I have lived and slept in the same room with her for the past 6 months ( minus one night when my family came to Canada )! We say so many things at the same time… we often tease each other about us being in each others heads. She has became my sister and my best friend. Her faith and her love for God has encouraged me in so many ways. She is willing to reach out to the ones in need and to allow God to shine through her. I can count numerous times where she was there for me when no one else was. She sat there holding me, whipping my tears, and praying for me. She knows exactly what to say at the right moment. She isn’t scared to show her faith and to show her love for God. She is willing to let that show. One of my favorite memories are the dates that we have had with each other. We seem to have such a way of finding topics that we enjoy talking about and we have so much fun just being around each other and being able to connect with the other.
Dave Toews: Our only guy
When I look at Dave… I see someone who has the heart and courage of God himself. He cares for us girls so much and it shows so deeply. He is willing to go out of his way to make sure that not one of us girls go out alone. He is willing to make himself our protector and our guard. He has grown so much from day one of TREK until now. His spirits have lifted and we all can tell that he has grown so much in the Lord. Some fun memories are when he sang to ‘Amish Paradise’ at Laura’s birthday party and just hanging out with him during the days.

Breanne McDaniel:
Our artist and prayer warrior
When it comes to prayer and being able to encourage anyone in their moment of depression… Bre is willing to help and to be there for you. She is one of the most sweet hearted girls I know. She is willing to talk to anyone who is off on their own and is willing to get her hands dirty for the work of God. We are so much alike. More then we first realized. Our personalities… our ways of thinking, and some of our dreams… similar in more then one way. She has an idea in mind of something she would love to do and she is strong headed and she is determined to see to it that it gets down. Her ability to find God in any situation and to keep everyone else searching… blesses me! One of my favorite memories that I have with her, are all the times that we would walk together hand in hand and talk about our families and just things that we would love to do in our lives. And her encouraging my dreams and hopes for my life. She cares so tenderly for everything that goes on in my life and everyone around. Just hearing her dreams, her longings in life, everything… it made me want to be more like her. So pure in heart and so deeply in love with her Father.
Roxy Neufeld: Candy girl
When it comes to patients and joy… she is the girl that has both. She is so patient when it comes to the rest of us and just having a smile on her face all day… it encourages me to keep my spirits up and to keep going. She is so eager to share what she has and is never scared of trying new things. I have grown to love her so deeply. Just the way she checks up on you when you look sad or just the way she sits with you just to talk… it touches me. She has grown so much since we have came here and I can see Jesus in her with everything she does.

Otto Funk: My grandpa
From the very beginning… he has been my way of getting through. He reminded me of my Grandpa Yoder so much that I began seeing him AS family and I know that that is how I got through this whole 3 and a half months without much homesickness. I thank God everyday that he has sent him into my life. He has been there for me when I needed someone to talk to… and on our Trujillo trip, he was there to support us and to give us the best possible trip that we could have.

Lidia Funk: Our spoiler
Lidia has taken us in and spoiled us. She has welcomed us in and shown us how it is to be away from home but still be at home. I have grown to love her with my heart. She is always open to having girl nights with us and to just hang out with us to watch a chick flick or a romantic movie. And there is always fresh homemade bread when we really want it.
Kevin Funk: My yunker
I have gotten to know Kevin more and more each day. He became my uncle or ‘yunker’ by a couple weeks into our trip here. I feel like I didn’t get to know him as well as I could’ve because of his studies… but one thing I learned from him is that he is one that doesn’t give up easy and he is determined to see things to the end. He is always willing to help out in the church and to be there for the ones that need him. Some fun memories that I have with him are playing zip bong with him at youth. Seeing what all he gave up to come here… makes me know that God is real and that if you only trust in him… he will see that you will be blessed.


Jano Lopez: Our pastor and Papi
As the pastor and as the leader of the house we are staying in… he has done his share of welcoming us into his arms. He has went out of his way many times to make sure that we have everything we need. Making extra trips to the market with me, getting us extra stuff we didn’t really need, as well as making sure we are safe when we walk the streets. He has become one of
our best friends and has helped us get the feeling of being in a Peruvian household.

Angelita Lopez: Our Mama
I feel like because of her… we have become so involved with the culture here and the different foods. She does so much for us to make sure that we get to taste and to experience the real Peruvian culture. She does so much as well to make us feel welcome. She opens her arms for us when we need her and she is always there to tell us she loves us.

Gustavo Lopez: Mi tio
Gustavo is one that we have just recently became close to. He at first lived with us for the first week and then he moved to Trujillo. We became somewhat close to him on our trip up there and then when he moved back down here in Lima… is when I began to see who he really is. He is a lead singer in a Christian band and is awesome on the guitar. He has a personality to drawn people to him. He is one that helps to protect us from the street guys and he is always here when we want to stay up and sing. He has become one of the guys that I can trust here and that I feel comfortable being around. One of the good memories that I have with him is all the times we watch 24 with Jano and he calls me Nina Myers… and I reply by calling him Tony Almada. And all the times that I speak to him in English and how he understands every word I say and he will just replay in Spanish because he says he is to embarrassed to speak in English even though I have gotten a conversation out of him in English.

Ali Lopez: Our hyper night owl
She is one that was harder to break into becoming close to us. She was hard to become close to for awhile. But now… since we have broke her… she has become a hyper night owl. It seems like when the sun goes down… her personality comes out. She is a bright student who has so much going for her. She is a smart and beautiful girl. When I look at her I see someone who will do well in the hands of God. One of my favorite memories is when we taught her some English phrases and she taught us some. One that she loves to say is ‘shut-up garbage’!! she runs around saying it and we just laugh when she says it. The way she pronounces it… makes us happy to know her. She taught us ‘fa fa’ also known as ‘goosing’! We run around fa faing her and having so much fun.

Anni Lopez: Little fa fa
Little Anni! The girl that has so much energy and her smile is enough to keep you smiling. Her way of loving you as a person is remarkable. She is willing to go out of her way for the ones she loves and will do what she can to help. When I gave my testimony… she was there to help me with my pronunciations and spelling. She was willing to sit with me and work with me.

Jackie Hidalgo: King Kong’s mother
Living across the hall from her for 3 and a half months… you learn to love her and to develop a relationship with her. She is quite and has her ways of making friends with King Kong ( our monkey ) and other animals that are around this church. She is so kind spirited and gracious.


I have only touched on the things I could’ve said about each of them. There is so much more that could be said. Each of these people that I have mentioned means so much to me and they have touched my life forever. Part of my heart will remain here with each one of these people and when I head home… they will never be forgotten!!

No comments: