Monday, March 17, 2008

Day as a tourist

Looking at Peru through the eyes of a tourist, someone you seldom are, you see the real beauty of the city. We got to do things and experience things we normally couldn't do. We experienced the reality of losing the only person you know who you understand for 5 minutes and being in the heart of a huge city, we experienced walking through a mall and hearing, and for a moment speaking to, a english speaking person without a peruvian accent. That was one of the best sounds I've heard in 2 weeks. Yes, we see and talk to Otto, Lydia, and Kevin, but hearing a native english speaker hit home more then I thought it ever would. We experienced Starbucks for the first time in 2 weeks. Now that is home!!! Drinking something you see at home really brought back some memories of both homes, Canada and Indiana. The best part of Starbucks was that they had a special Frap... one from their very home here in Peru... Manjar Blanco!!! A delicious caramel spread for just about anything you can think of! Bananas, apples, buns, grilled cheese, and yes... even pizza!! Try that in a Frap and you think you are in heaven!
The beach is amazing. Standing on the rail of the mall, having the wind blowing through my hair, and smelling the ocean, I realized how lucky I am. I am on a mission for God in the heart of Lima Peru with a Frap in my hand! What more can you ask for? How could it get any better? Having family here with me maybe, but the position I'm in now... it cant get any better!!
Breanne and I were standing facing the ocean and the amazing sunset and we talked about how when you put your heart and mind to something, you will eventually end up doing it. No matter if it happens how you wanted, if it takes many years, or just a few days, weeks or months, you will get there if you are determained enough. If you ask God, seek it out with your heart, and just look and watch for chances to do your dream, you will be surprised.
It doesn't seem like long ago that I first felt the desire to go on missions. I remember working hard to find something that worked and that fit my plans. But when you decide you want to follow God with something like this, he will find a way to get you there. Even thought I was thinking more like Jamaica, but Peru will do!! My heart is still on Jamica, and I trust God that I will one day step into the orphanage on the small island of Jamaica. But until that day, I will relax and have fun here where God has placed me.
One day in the life a tourist is fun and new... but I really enjoy the real purpose I'm here! I'm here to learn and serve!! Learn about the culture, the language, and serve God and the people here. That is my purpose here!! Learn and Serve!!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I miss you and am praying for you!